I went ahead and updated to Fedora 20 using the Alpha RC3. One reason is to help test it, provide karma etc., the other is that I simply couldn't wait to use the new shiny packages!
I used the Desktop Live media off a USB. The installation went off without a hitch. It was quick, reused my /home partition and didn't crash even once.
The new Gnome3.9 is pretty good. There are a couple of changes that I'm still getting used to:
- The new status menu is slightly buggy, but the issues are all known: the network icon tends to disappear.
- The new status menu doesn't have the "disable notifications" switch any more. It's supposed to be moved to the notification settings in the left bottom corner of the notifications tray. It didn't land in 3.9 though
- Gnome terminal doesn't let me use Alt as Meta in irssi. I'm still looking at how to configure this. Any one have any hints?
- The new dhclient update was buggy, and my negative karma to the update got it unpushed ;)
- mpd from rpmfusion isn't updated to work with the ffmpeg in F20. It needs to be built from git, since the fixes required aren't present in the latest 0.7.15 release. I've built an RPM here (SPEC/SRPM here) that you can use until it's fixed in rpmfusion.
- Byobu and gnome terminal both tend to crash randomly sometimes. It's something related to mc I think, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.
I'm going to keep testing and giving karma to packages. You can do it too, you can just use a VM instead of an actual install. There is a lot of work to be done in other areas too. If you have the time, consider helping out. A good place to start with simple tasks is the marketing list. Just keep an eye out on the announce list and the planet and you'll find something or the other to do. ;)
Anyway! Happy testing!